Achiever's Success Story
The 75 year old legacy of Alcon stands noteworthy
Alcon is a 75-year-old, 8.2 BN USD medical-device company, headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland and Fort Worth, USA. Alcon ranks #1 in Eye Care Globally with the mission of helping see brilliantly. Alcon is present in more than 140 countries with 23,000 employees and offers the widest array of surgical, eye care health, contact lenses, and contact lens care products in the industry.
Journey of AGS – Alcon Global Services – An Overview:
Alcon became an independent company in 2019 and transformation was one of the key priorities in setting up Alcon Global services (AGS). AGS transformation resulted in a multimillion dollar savings from service delivery model transformation, standing up as an independent Alcon, build up knowledge in strategic areas and unlocking further transformation opportunities for re-investment in other priorities. AGS was a key enabler and a strategic partner to decide insourcing of several processes aligned with Alcon’s cultural imperative to drive ownership & accountability and speed & simplicity.
Starting in May 2019, within a span of four years, AGS India team has grown to 1000+ people organization having more than 10 functional capabilities being developed from India center especially ramped up during pandemic. IT, Finance, FP&A, Quality Assurance, R&D, Supply Chain, HR Operations & Transformation teams are based in AGS India.
Ramping up during challenging times of Covid19:
A strategic need occurred with the arrival of COVID-19 during AGS build up, necessitating the deployment of a full Business Continuity Management (BCM) plan to ensure the seamless functioning of day-to-day operations. Knowledge transfer was secured through virtual trainings and e-learnings. About 35 transition and insourcing projects were implemented with global collaboration virtually.
Alcon’s office, which is around 180,000 square feet and has 1000+ seats and state-of-the-art facilities, was constructed during the epidemic. To ensure consistent experience for all Alcon (from AGS’ partners to staff), cross-functional initiatives were grouped under Service Management Practices (SMPs) with AGS core team driving the implementation.
SMP priorities identified during Dec 2020 leadership meet were implemented, including:
- 96% of the workforce are millennials, and having a clear focus on diversity & inclusion with 34% of workforce being female colleagues
- Navratna is one of the key programs to integrate cross functional, enterprise mindset in our associates which brings various functions together to collaborate & contribute to center’s success in every way possible, regardless of the hierarchy & with a shared vision.
- From the beginning Alcon always tried to inculcate a Continuous Improvement mindset wherein we had 91% of eligible staff (555 during Dec 2021) trained in Lean Six Sigma White Belt. An ideation process was put in place for staff to submit improvement ideas. Over 200 ideas submitted with nearly 50% approved for implementation.
- To drive better Customer experience Customer orientation training became part of onboarding for new joiners with a strong focus on developing trusting relationships with customer to promote long-term success and growth.
- Alcon achieved high scores for the onboarding experience, while the quarterly employee satisfaction score for AGS was always above the company’s benchmark and have officially been certified as a great place to work building and sustaining high trust and high performance culture.
- A Center Management team was formed and a framework was created for structured and consistent means to increase the centers’ maturity level.
Value addition in the areas of Digital Customer Excellence/ Digital Health:
A strong emphasis was laid on the process of enhancing the customer experience and improving health outcomes through the use of digital technology which lead to better and enhanced customer experience and improved health outcomes.
In year 2023, Alcon has inaugurated the R&D lab at AGS Bangalore and opened this new research and development Software Verification & Validation laboratory. This lab is a part of Alcon’s global R&D network, which includes centers in the United States, Europe, and in Asia it is the first lab established outside of the United States with more than 200 + engineers / professionals working in the lab.